Friday 28 December 2007

Mother, 34, marries foster son she adopted with husband as a refugee from war-torn Kosovo

Scandalous!Foster son is here for your wife.

A mother has married her own foster son - seven years after she and her husband took him into their home as a refugee from war-torn Kosovo.

Foster mother Julia Gregg,34, married her foster son Krenar Lleshi, 21, in a "very special" and "very private" wedding ceremony with their daughter Hattie, 1, as bridesmaid.

(Just married: Julia and Krenar Lleshi in their wedding outfits)

She was 27 years old and married to her husband Steve, then 31, when she took 14-year-old Krenar into her home in 2000.

Krenar arrived in Britain after smuggling his way to the country in the back of a lorry.

But after battling to keep him in the country and then splitting from her husband, Julia fell in love with Krenar when he turned 19 years old.

Julia finally married her foster son in a quiet church service with just two witnesses.

Julia said: "I know how much people have gossiped about us and we wanted it to be a very special, very private occasion.

"I didn't even tell my sisters - when they found out they were shocked. I wanted to keep it as something between me and Krenar."

Julia and ex-husband Steve had fostered more than 20 teenagers at their home at Ebbw Vale, South Wales, although they had no children of their own.

Krenar arrived in Britain in 1999 after stowing away in the back of a lorry.

He was taken into local authority care then fostered by Julia, then 27, and her husband Steve.

foster family together

A year after the adoption: Foster dad Steve Crandon (left) wife Julia and foster son Krenar, aged 15, in 2001. Krenar's friend Edmond Pone is in the beige suit (far right)

Both foster parents fought to keep Krenar in Britain describing him as a "model citizen".

Krenar was given "exceptional leave" to stay in Britain by the Home Office because all his family had also fled the country - and there was no-one for him to return to.

Krenar continued to live with Julia and Steve as a foster child.

But Julia said she split with Steve when their marriage failed - and it was only later that she fell for Krenar when he was 19.

She said: "It might not have been the most conventional start to a relationship but we are just like any other family with the same hopes and dreams.

"Our relationship began a long time after the breakdown of my marriage. Steve's been very understanding."

Julia said: "I know people have gossiped about us but we are very proud parents.

"There were a lot of shocked faces when we said we were getting married.

"It was one of the happiest days of my life. It felt wonderful as I said my vows to Krenar. We were both very emotional.

(Happy family: Krenar, who works as a plumber, is proud of their one-year-old daugther, Hattie)

"It was very important to us to be married.

"So many people have been so supportive towards us. It's lovely to finally show the world how in love we are."

The couple held the wedding in their local St Anne's Church in Nantyglo, South Wales, with only daughter Hattie, their dog and two witnesses.

Julia wore a black and cream wedding gown, with a long black train and cream corset covered in black embroidered flowers.

Krenar, who works as a plumber, said: "I am really happy with Julia and Hattie."

Pub landlord Steve said earlier: "The lad who I'd treated like a son had been in bed with the woman I loved.

"I felt like such a fool and began to think back to all the times they had spent together on their own.

"When she told me I just sat open-mouthed. He was 12 years younger than her but more importantly he was our son.

"I was in shock that my wife was sleeping with my foster son.

"I still find it hard to believe that the two people I was closest to could do such a thing."

Recent Posts